Former New York Rangers backup goalie Steve Valiquette turned down an offer to play for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team this season as they did not guarantee regular playing time, according to Valiquette’s agent Kent Hughes.
Valiquette was bought out after playing one season for HC CSKA Moscow of the KHL. Vally was not eager to resume his KHL career without regular playing time, which Lokomotiv could not assure him, so he turned down their offer.
Ultimately in the end, it saved Valiquette’s life as a plane carrying the entire Lokomotiv team crashed killing every member of the roster including the head coach and assistant coaches.
… wow, you never know how lucky you are until something like this happens.
Most people will tell Valiquette he is extremely lucky to be playing professional hockey and had a chance to be in the National Hockey League but in the end Valiquette is extremely lucky to have his life still. He gets to go home to his family and embrace them.
Yes, it’s just a part of life but it’s just a sport as well and Valiquette made a business decision that ended up being a personal decision as well.
- Touching Video: Lokomotiv Yaroslavl Symbolic Victory By Dinamo Minsk (nyrnation.net)
- Video: Lokomotiv Yaroslavl Memorial At Arena 2000 (nyrnation.net)
- Read: Remembering the NHL stars of Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (nyrnation.net)
- UPDATE: Lokomotiv Yaroslavl Team Plane Crashes; Death Toll At 43 (nyrnation.net)
- Light A Candle For Alexander Karpovtsev, Karel Rachunek and Jan Marek (nyrnation.net)
Filed Under: Rangers
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.